We’re back!! Oh I hope you had a wonderful holiday season with all your festivities! Now a new year. Welcome 2016! Oh the adventures that await for us all. But as is tradition, here is a look back at last year.
(Ethan/Evy Jan/June/Dec 2015)
1. What did you do in 2015 that you’d never done before?
Parented two kids. Need we say more.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolution and will you make more for next year?
We prayed “God we will do anything” in March and we continued that through the year with intention most of the year. We haven’t decided on our “theme” or “dreams” for this year, but I think it will be revealed in the next few months. We try to live everyday fully, remembering joys and struggles of the past, hoping and dreaming of the future, but really trying to focus on the here and now.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Our friends Brian and Michelle gave birth to a beautiful son. My friend Laura had a precious daughter. And of course we met our dear Evy!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What country did you visit?
Just ours. Traveled to Colorado twice.
6. What would you like to have in 2016 that you lacked in 2015?
Less chaotic mult-tasking. Less “divide and conquer” parenting and more “in it together” moments.
7. What dates from 2015 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Jan 21st Evy’s birth. March when we decided to pray “God we will do anything” and it rearranged our entire life in the most beautiful way possible
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Matt was promoted to a senior role at work, we purged/repurposed/painted the main floor with a newborn (totally doable!), breastfeeding our daughter for 11 months
9. What was your biggest failure?
Bad parenting choices in the heat of a moment
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Matt’s appendix decided to call it quits, we all had (seemingly) frequent colds/flu throughout the year, Evy had an ear infection, Ethan had stomach flu for a day.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Frequent tickets to Colorado, Matt’s tennis club membership, new music player for the house, anything from our farmers markets
12. Where did most of your money go?
Radical giving. Also food (farmers market!! Aldi!! Trader Joes!!).
13. What did you get really excited about?
Alicia’s 2 new jobs (clinic and university!), Matt working out (both tennis and home), Ethan’s “big boy bike”
14. What song will remind you of 2015?
Uptown Funk, Honey I’m good, You Make me Brave
15. Compared to this time last year, are you
happier or sadder? happier (ie. more content with a simpler more intentional life)
thinner or fatter? thinner! Post-prego body, more toned
richer or poorer? richer (even with a lower paycheck and more giving away, it feels like we are richer because we are using all our money for very specific intentional choices)
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Read books, traveled, double dates, sleep
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Saying “just a minute” to our son (in light of having a newborn), step on food on the kitchen floor, wake up in the middle of the night
18. How did you spend Christmas?
Lazy christmas morning at home with homemade pancakes, Ethan opening his one gift, and playing together! (then heading out to see extended family)
19. What was your favorite TV program?
Brooklyn 99, Agents of Shield, Flash, (and I also re-watched the entire 10-season-set of Friends, several Master Chef Junior, and Gilmore Girls on Netflix during Evy’s first month during the many middle-of-the-night-feedings).
20. What were your favorite books of the year?
“Anything” and “Restless” by Jennie Allen
21. What was your favorite film of the year?
Star Wars VII
22. What did you do on your birthday?
Huh. I have no idea. (this is a theme each year! I turned 30 but didn’t feel a need to do anything extraordinary)
23. What one thing would you have made your year immeasurable more satisfying?
Having our closest friends living in our neighborhood (um, make that our direct neighbors), less toddler tantrums (oh my, those 2 months in there with attitude regression after evy’s birth were brruuttalll).
24. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
Purge the stuff that didn’t fit, accept post-prego body, and focus on a capsule wardrobe
25. What kept you sane?
Colorado, our people, our hobbies, going outside with the kids (biking to the park), homemade food that made us feel productive and happy, making each area in our home “useful and beautiful” for maximized purpose and minimized excess.
26. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2015?
Scary choices that seem to give up control actually creates more freedom